Tuesday, February 12, 2013

1 Timothy 3:11- She Must Be Dignified

Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things.
1 Timothy 3:11

I'm going to take a few blog posts to break this verse down.  My plan is to fully meditate on each quality I must have as a deacon's wife in order to grow in each of these areas.  To start, I am going to make sure I fully understand what each of these words means in the original Greek.
If you don't know me personally, you don't already know that I am a big-time nerd when it comes to the original languages of the Bible.  When a sermon or Bible study includes the phrase, "This word in the original Greek actually means...." I get really excited! I understand that not everyone shares my enthusiasm, so I'll try to make sure this isn't boring!  





The first word in the list of qualities in 1 Timothy 3:11 is "dignified."  

In the original Greek.... it pretty much still means "dignified."  The word in Greek is "semnas" which is the same word Paul used in Philippians 4:8 to say we should meditate on things that are "honorable." Deacon's wives must be dignified and honorable.  Some older versions of the Bible translate the word to say "grave." 

I have to admit "grave" is my least favorite translation.  I hear that and wonder if I'm supposed to be somber or something. I love having a sense of humor, and there are times when if I wasn't allowed to laugh I know for sure I'd break down and cry! 
In context, it doesn't sound like those of us who love to make a joke and crack people up every now and then have anything to worry about- thank goodness, it's not that kind of grave.  In my understanding, the translation that says "grave" intends to suggest that we should be women who take things seriously when they need to be taken seriously.  Certain spiritual matters are a serious thing indeed, especially matters of salvation.  We must not take those things lightly. 

To act in a dignified way, a woman first needs to know she has dignity.  We all have dignity as image-bearers of God.  We have immense value and worth to Him.  We are secured in Jesus Christ when we accept Him as our Lord and Savior.  Being dignified means we carry ourselves with a quiet confidence in that security.  As we grow in His teachings, we grow in wisdom and maturity.  We learn to put away childish things and walk in newness of life.  We are in the light as He is in the light, so we walk as children of light and not as children of darkness.  
Also, we are sure to treat others with dignity, even when they are at their worst.  Jesus had the wisdom to know how to remain blameless even as he reached out to tax collectors, prostitutes, and other sinners so that he could minister to them.  My prayer is that I never look down my dignified nose at "the least of these." 

An honorable woman shows herself worthy of respect.  Just as her deacon-husband has a good reputation inside the church and with outside world (and, um, on Facebook) so should she.  We should be ethical and moral in our conduct at all times, (including what we Tweet...) because anyone who has been a deacon's wife for long knows she is being watched.  As human beings, we make mistakes, and we aren't perfect. However, as unfair as it may be, as a servant-leader of the church we set an example that people will follow.  

Sometimes I hate this part, because I don't like being in a "fish-bowl," as our pastor once explained it.  I'm going to mess up at some point, and I'm sure that failure will be pointed out to me by some offended party.  I may be tempted to harden my heart towards that person and say, "I am just going to do whatever I want, because I'll never make everyone happy, anyway!" but this is not the way.  It's true we will never be able to please everyone, but I doubt seriously God intends us to write off anyone who disagrees with us.
Colossians 3:23 says, "Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men." Ephesians 6:7 echoes this command.  It means we always do our best, and always do what we know is right, but we do it for God's approval, not another person's.  When we stumble, we just admit our mistakes and make it right.  The Lord will see the motivation of our heart, and praise us for trying again.  And don't forget, an apology to a hurt person can go a LONG WAY! 
That is exactly what being "honorable" is all about.  People will see it when you try your best to live in a dignified and honorable way, but more importantly, God will see it.

Proverbs 24:16 "For though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again..."

1 comment: